The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on Academic Performance in High School
Sleep deprivation has been a common problem in students these days. A recent study has revealed that over 50% of students have to deal with the effects of sleep deprivation regularly. This can not only affect their academic career but also negatively impact their health. Sleep deprivation is also one of the major causes of stress. So, let us look at some of the lack of sleep side effects and how they can be avoided.
What Is Sleep Deprivation?
Sleep deprivation is a condition that occurs when you do not get the required amount of sleep. It can occur due to numerous reasons and can have a direct impact on your overall health. Sleep is something we all need and without proper sleep, our body will fail to function properly.
Lack of sleep side effects can have major impacts on our lives. Long-term sleep deprivation can also lead to permanent health disorders. This is why the top schools in Mumbai indulge the students in various activities that can improve their sleep at night.
Factors Affecting Sleep in High School Students
- School Schedule And Workload: Most students find it difficult to cope with their workload. This can lead to sleep deprivation effects. For many students, the school start time is early which can again lead to sleep deprivation.
- Part-time Jobs: A lot of students take up part time-jobs mainly because of extra income They may have to work for long hours into the evening after school. This can reduce their sleep time.
- Social Media And Electronic Devices: The students of today are always on their electronic devices. The blue light emitted by electronic devices can make it harder for them to fall asleep. Being constantly online on social media can again build their anxiety level, thereby causing sleep deprivation effects.
- Sleep Hygiene And Habits: Improper sleep hygiene and habits can cause sleep deprivation for students. This includes an irregular sleeping schedule, unhealthy diets, and much more. Students also engage in activities like caffeine consumption which disrupts their sleep cycle.
- Sleep Disorders: Some students suffer from sleep disorders like insomnia. This can impact their quality of sleep to a great extent. Such conditions should not be left unaddressed and need to be taken care of really soon.
What Causes Lack of Sleep? – Negative Effects of Lack of Sleep On Students in Academic Performance
- Decreased Academic Performance: Lack of sleep effects the overall academic performance of students. They will fail to achieve the desired grades in their high school examinations. With time, their confidence level will also decrease. So, make it a point to get your kids admitted to one of the best international schools in India so that they remain aware of the importance of quality sleep at night.
- Increased Risk of Academic Problems: With continuous sleep deprivation for students, there is an increased risk among students of academic problems. The students will no longer be able to satisfy their expectations. This will lead to poor grades, missing deadlines, etc.
- Impaired Decision-making And Judgment: Impaired decision-making and judgment skills are effects of sleep deprivation. The students’ minds will fail to function which can cause them to make improper decisions in life.
- Higher Stress Levels: Higher stress level is one of the psychological effects of sleep deprivation. Lack of sleep can lead to stress build-up in students. Sometimes, it can also lead to permanent health disorders.
- Poor Physical Health: Sleep deprivation has an impact on the physical health of the students. The students will start suffering from different health issues. They will also find it difficult to lead their lives properly.
- Mental Health Problems: Lack of sleep side effects brain leading to mental problems in high school students. They may become a victim of depression and other mental disorders. They will also find it difficult to interact with people.
- Behavioural Problems: Students who do not get the required amount of sleep at night start to show behavioural problems like hyperactivity, mood swings, and irritability. These psychological effects of sleep deprivation can impact their overall lifestyle.
- Increased Risk of Accidents: Lack of sleep effects the reaction time of the students. This can increase the risk of accidents both in school and outside school.
* 9 Tips To Overcome Board Exam Stress And Anxiety
* Eight Reasons Why Daily Morning Prayer Is Important For Children
* Meditation In School: 10 Tips, Techniques & Benefits
* Five Best Ways To Make Learning Fun And Exciting For Your Students
How to Improve Sleep Quality – Best Tips To Follow
- Set a Regular Sleep Schedule: Try to stick to a particular sleep schedule. Make it a point to go to sleep at the same time every day. This is going to improve the quality of sleep to a great extent. Nowadays, most ICSE schools in Pune also offer lessons to students on the importance of following a sleep schedule.
- Create a Relaxing Bedtime Routine: Following a relaxing bedtime routine has got a big role to play in helping you acquire quality sleep at night. You can listen to relaxing music or take a warm bath before going to sleep.
- Avoid Caffeine And Nicotine: Avoid caffeine or nicotine before going to bed. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that can excite your nervous system and cause a lack of sleep.
- Limit Screen Time Before Bed: Do not spend too much time on electronic devices before sleep The blue light emitted by electronic devices can disrupt your sleep cycle
- Make The Bedroom Conducive to Sleep: The bedroom should have a peaceful vibe. The walls can be painted in light shades. You can also get some comfortable bed sheets and pillows for your room.
- Exercise Regularly, But Not Before Bedtime: Yes, we know that exercise is important but do not make it a habit to exercise before going to bed. When you exercise, you start feeling excited. This can be harmful to your sleep.
- Avoid Napping During The Day: There are a lot of people who have a habit of napping during the day. These short naps can affect the quality of sleep at night.
- Eat a Healthy, Balanced Diet: Consuming a healthy diet will impact your sleep cycle. When you eat healthy, your overall metabolism will improve, and you can sleep easily at night.
- Manage Stress And Anxiety: Sleep deprivation is one of the causes of stress in students. So, try to manage stress and anxiety. This can easily be achieved by participating in yoga and meditation in school. Daily morning prayer can also help with stress management.
So, as a responsible parent, if you do not want your kids to become a victim of sleep deprivation, you must get them admitted to one of the best IB schools near me so that they are made aware of the importance of sleep from a very early stage of their lives.
A student requires around 7 to 8 hours of sleep to function properly.
Sleep deprivation can adversely impact your overall physical and mental health. Lack of sleep side effects brain and other physiological functions. It can lead to reduced immunity, impaired cognitive function, weight gain, anxiety, and other disorders.
High school students can improve their sleeping habits by maintaining a proper sleep schedule and reducing the time spent on electronic devices before going to bed.
3 common signs of sleep deprivation include increased fatigue, frequent mood swings, and poor concentration level.