Decoding the IB Curriculum: Why is it Good for Your Child
The IB or the International Baccalaureate diploma refers to a two-year academic program that is offered to students in the age group of 16 to 19 years. Internationally accepted and recognized, this curriculum has gained immense popularity in India in the last two decades. The IB Diploma is a significant credential for college applications, especially overseas. Being aware of the advantages of this pedagogy, MIT Gurukul, one of the best IB schools in Pune, has consciously adopted the curriculum.
The IB Diploma requires the students to study and pass exams in six subject areas. Three or four of these subjects can be taken by the student at the challenging “Higher” level, while the remaining subjects can be taken at the “Standard” level. Additionally, the students write an essay based on independent research by taking the “Theory of Knowledge” course. This course covers critical thinking and epistemology. The third mandatory requirement of IB Diploma is for the student to participate in various extracurricular activities for holistic development.
Getting the IB Diploma signifies that the student has superior critical thinking due to a heavily experiential pedagogy. They are also equipped to analyse and understand information, look at varying perspectives and develop problem-solving abilities. Some noteworthy advantages of learning the IB curriculum are:
1. High Acceptance Rate : Students holding an IB Diploma have a high university and college acceptance rate worldwide. The experiential curriculum gives them qualities also to be very successful in their college education.
2. Increased Scholarship Opportunities : It has been observed that students who have passed the IB curriculum from top schools in Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi, Gurugram etc. obtain greater scholarships and fellowships.
3. Interdisciplinary Teaching : The method of instruction used in IB Diploma is interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary with hands-on learning, rendering the students with broader academic horizons.
4. Development of intellectual faculties : Students taking IB Diploma are trained to approach research and inquiry, find answers through independent exploration of multiple learning strategies, adopt new ideas, be expressive, and gain knowledge on issues that have local and global significance.
5. Honing Liberal Minded and Global Outlook : Students of the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program understand and appreciate different cultures and life views. They are open to accepting varied perceptions, values and traditions, and become educationally richer with such realisations.
6. Ingenuity : Within the IB pedagogy the students develop their imaginative and scholarly quotient to deal with a variety of educational paradigms right from the early years and up to the high school years. At MIT Gurukul, one of the best primary and high school in Pune, we encourage hands-on work and experimentation.
7. Teacher Development : It is a mandate of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Organisation for teachers to undertake regular professional development training. Thus the students learn from the most informed and talented educators.
Conclusively, pursuing IB Diploma opens up a plethora of opportunities for students, and with the above-mentioned advantages it offers, it is surely a pedagogy that is aimed for student success. We encourage all prospective parents to book a session with our admissions team to learn more about our program and its salient points.